Get to Know the Team: John Miller


Name:
  John Miller

From:  Alexandria, KY

How long have you been cycling:  Nine months

What is your athletic background:  Two words, weekend warrior.  I ran track and cross country in high school.  Post high school I have played flag football and slowpitch softball competitively for the last twenty plus years.  I also coached cross country at the middle school and high school levels post high school.  

What is your injury history:  I have had a few injuries, that is for sure.  In 2003 I ruptured the flexor tendon in my ring finger on my left hand and had to have it reattached surgically.  It still doesn't bend or straighten, but it works well enough.  In 2016 I tore my bicep, rotator cuff, and labrum in my left shoulder which had to be repaired surgically.  In 2018 I suffered a grade 3 tear of the groin in my right leg.  That was not fun!!!!

What was your first bike:  2018 Raleigh Willard 1


What do you remember most about that first bike:  That is easy to remember since I just bought it eight months ago.  The whole 2x8 gearing sucked when climbing hills with all of the other guys.  Definitely made it hard for me to keep up.  

What do you ride now:  2020 Giant Defy Advanced 1  



What does your preparation for the race look like:  A mix of road rides (weather permitting), trainer rides,  plyometrics, and weight training.

What do you expect to get out of the race:  A sense of accomplishment and to get to say "I told you so" when it is done.  There were a lot of doubters when I agreed to ride in the race.  I get it.  I was a 270 pound powerlifter at the time.

What section of the course are you most looking forward to:  I think I am going to say the night rides through Arizona.  I just think it will be fun, challenging and entertaining.  Definitely entertaining.  

What section of the course worries you the most:  The Appalachian Mountains.  Just the amount of climbing and where it is on the course are what concern me the most.  I am worried that there might not be anything left in the tank at that point.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

65 Days & Counting....

The Adventure Begins in 89 Days

The Ohio RAAM Show